Friday, April 4, 2008

Might As Well Face It...


I'm addicted to buying vinyl records.

This addiction seemed okay at first. But now it's obviously unhealthy.
Most people collect things in moderation. Well, I barely understand the concept of moderation; I've never done anything half-way. So what was once an exciting new venture into collecting became a crippling obsession.
I hesitate to compare my addiction to a serious drug problem only because buying records isn't unhealthy in a sharing-dirty-needles or destroying-my-liver kind of way.
But honestly, drug addiction is the closest kind of obsession i can compare this to.
A friend of mine said, "It's harder to stop buying records than to stop using heroin."
And although this may seem like an exaggeration to most people, it makes complete sense to anyone who shares this predilection for music recorded on vinyl acetate.

This is my first foray into the world of blogging. My first step towards taking some control back from the addiction that has gripped me too tightly for too long.
Perhaps, if I take account of my vinyl acquisitions, if I share my obsession publicly, I will discover ways to achieve some balance in my life, finally.
I am committing to self-enforced therapy to initiate permanent change.

With full disclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment