Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Chicken Soup For The Techno Soul


I spent ALL day buying records on discogs, except for the break I took to pick up some Girl Talk cds from my friend's place. And I also made chicken soup.


I sent this e-mail earlier to my girlfriend :

------------------------------------------------
the first time i made the chicken soup it was okay. like little better than good.
this time, it's fucking great.
i finally got some cilantro and added that, which i forgot to use last time.
and i used a different process to strip the meat from the bones and fat, so i don't have to worry about stray bones and gross rubbery chicken joints.
i used a TON of red pepper flakes. it's spicy. and i used fresh garlic cloves and some garlic powder. it's garlic-y.
carrots. celery. onions.
4 chicken bullion cubes to emphasize the broth flavoring. some vegetable oil. some butter substitute spread. (not margarine shit!) and some adobo seasoning.
served over rice.
tastes fucking awesome.
i just wish i could share this with you :(

why can't i get soup that tastes this good at a restaurant where "professional" chefs prepare food...?
i think i know the answer, and i don't like it.
------------------------------------------------

It felt great tonight, taking hours to make that soup. Dissecting chicken parts like I'm back in high school with the cat, except now I'm using my bare hands instead of a scalpel. And the chicken doesn't smell like chemical preservatives.
I love records, but I hate sitting in front of a computer for more hours than most people's average workday, to find the gems amongst the manure. (And boy is there a LOT of crap to wade through...)
So NOT sitting in front of my computer--in this uncomfortable chair, hurting my back and killing my eyesight--and instead making that chicken soup. With my hands. With love.
That was phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment